Thursday, October 24, 2013

Good Afternoon,
Later into this week I hope to interview a parent and talk to them directly about how having a child has changed their life professionally but for now I am going to tell you about a family that I witnessed while I was at a hotel this past weekend in Green Bay. I spent this past weekend in Green Bay because I went to the Packer game with my mother and a few of her girlfriends from school. I was waiting for the elevator to open with one of my mom's friends after breakfast Sunday morning so we could go back up to the room and get ready for the game. When the elevator door opened there stood a middle-aged man with a hotel cart and a lot of luggage. The thing that was different about this scene was that all the luggage was on the ground and not on the cart. As the man started swearing about everything falling off the cart I turned around to notice that he was swearing at his kids about how they put all their stuffed animals on the bottom of the cart and that there was no support for any of the other luggage that was on top of the stuffed animals. There were a few girls and one son and one of the girls kept repeating "oh we just had a timber, everything fell off," as if it was not as big of a deal as the father was making it. I looked at my mom's friend as the girls were throwing all the stuff out of the elevator and I was going to take the stairs but she was holding the elevator door open for the girls so I decided to stand there and wait. The girls threw everything out into the hallway and nothing got put back onto the cart. There was about an ankle deep pile of luggage. The other thing that was odd was that it seemed as if none of the bags were closed because things that you would expect to be secure in a bag were on the ground, for example, earrings. Even though the one girl acted as if it was not a big deal that everything fell of the cart I felt so bad for how the father was talking to his own children.
Once we got into the elevator another couple was with us and the women said, "the joys of traveling with kids". This statement really stuck with me because the more I thought out it the more I started wondering why the children were the ones to load up the cart in the first place. I don't know about you, but when I was a child I do not ever remember being in charge of loading up the hotel cart. What can that father expect after having a couple of young children load up the cart? 

No comments:

Post a Comment